Australia Working Visas image for the blog - employer sponsored working visa.

Do you want to move to Australia and begin a new life with a new job? If this is the case, you should look into the various types of employer-sponsored working visas that are available to you!

If you’re looking for some information about employer-sponsored work in Australia, you have come to the right place.

In this article, we are going to discuss the 4 main categories of employer-sponsored working visas currently available in Australia. Please continue reading to find out more!

What Is An Employer Sponsored Working Visa In Australia?

Employer-sponsored visas assist Australian employers by allowing them to recruit and nominate skilled overseas workers to fill positions that they have been unable to fill in the local labour market or by upskilling their own workforce.

This visa allows skilled non-Australian workers who have been nominated by their employer to live and work in Australia. The sponsoring Australian-registered organizations could be based in Australia or Off-shore businesses.

However, to be eligible for this employer-sponsored visa in Australia, you must have an occupation that is on the Skilled Occupation List; along with a minimum of 2 years of relevant and recent work experience.

Although, depending on the occupation category, a qualification may not be required. Please confirm this with the international recruitment agency that is assisting you with your employment and migration requirements in Australia.

The 4 Main Category Of Employer-Sponsored Visas In Australia

The four main categories for employer-sponsored visas in Australia are Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (TSS) subclass 482, Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186), the 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa, and the last one is Temporary Work (Short Stay) Visas (subclass 400).

Now let’s have a closer look at each of the options available in the sponsored visa category.

1.    Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) 482 Visa

The TSS 482 Visa is a temporary skills shortage visa that requires an employer-sponsorship in Australia. These 482 visas can be granted between 2 to 4 years.

You must remain in full-time employment with your nominated employer by law, if you change your job your new employer will need to pay to transfer your TSS 482 visa over to them.

TSS 482 Visa Information:

  • The employer must be set up as an approved sponsor, valid for 5 years.
  • Skilled Training levy must be paid for each year of visa paid upfront by the company determined by their turnover.
  • Temporary visa, up to 4 years depending on which list (STSOL / MLTSSL).
  • Pathways to Permanent Residency, with a 4-year visa, while on the visa if on MLTSSL.

The 3-Part Process For A TSS 482 Visa In Australia:

  • The employer must get permission to be a Sponsor. (Become a qualified sponsor)
  • The employer then must get permission to specifically sponsor you – part of this is proving they can’t find a local candidate to do the job.
  • You and your family’s application.

2.    Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) (ENS)

The ENS visa allows Australian employers to fill skilled positions with overseas workers on a permanent basis where they can’t fill the skilled vacancies in the Australian labour market.

The two main streams for the Australian ENS Visa under the Employer Sponsored Permanent Residence pathways are Subclass 186 Direct Entry and the 186 Temporary Transition Stream.

Note that both streams involve a 2-stage process, which is the nomination by the company and application by the employee.

The company must nominate the position and pay a one-time training levy fee based on the business turnover.

Subclass 186 Direct Entry Information

  • Occupation must be on the MLTSSL.
  • Skills assessment required for nominee plus 3 years’ experience.
  • Under 45 years old, unless an exemption applies.

Subclass 186 Temporary Transition Stream Information

  • Occupation must be on the MLTSSL.
  • Applicant must have worked with the same employer for 3 years on a 482 visa to be nominated.
  • Two-stage process, nomination by company and application by employee.
  • No skills assessment is required.

3.    494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa

The 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Provisional Visa replaced the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) subclass 187 visas on 16 November 2019. A total of 9,000 places will be allocated to the 494 Visa program every year.

As a provisional visa, the 494 Visa does not give instant permanent residency, but the 494 Visa holder is eligible to apply for Subclass 191 Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa after 3 years.

The 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Provisional Visa Information:

  • This is a temporary Visa that leads to permanent residency.
  • A wide range of occupations is available.
  • Skills assessment and 3 years of experience are required to be nominated.
  • Applicant must be under 45 years old unless an exemption applies.

Can Be Up To A 3-Stage Process:

  • The employer must get permission to be a Sponsor. (Become a qualified sponsor)
  • The employer then must get permission to specifically sponsor you, proving that they can’t find anyone local to do the job.
  • You and your family’s application

4.    Temporary Work (Short Stay) Visas (subclass 400)

The Temporary Work (Subclass 400) Activity visa is an offshore, short-term visa that is available to skilled workers to enter Australia to engage in highly specialised work, activity, or participate in a specific event.

This temporary Work Visa is usually allowed skilled workers to stay in Australia for up to 3 months. However, visas can be granted for up to six months in some special circumstances.

Short Stay Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 400) Information:

  • The work or event is short-term and not ongoing.
  • You are required to be in Australia to do the work or participate in the activity.
  • You have skills, qualifications, and experience related to the work or activity.
  • You have specialist skills, knowledge, or experience that can help Australian businesses and that can’t reasonably be found in Australia.
  • You can support yourself (and your dependents) financially while they are in Australia.
  • You are supported by the organisation that invited you to Australia.
  • You will not be studying a course leading to formal qualifications in Australia.
  • You meet all health and character requirements.
  • You must be able to demonstrate a high level of proficiency in English
A Guide To Employer Sponsored Working Visas In Australia

Do You Need Help With The Employer-Sponsored Visa?

We hope you’ve enjoyed reading the blog post and find it helpful.

If you have not yet chosen your employment or a migration agent in Australia, we recommend that you seek advice on the sponsored visa as soon as possible! 

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with Southern Cross Personnel, a leading international recruitment firm based in Adelaide, South Australia. You can call the inquiry line on Tel: +61 (0) 8 8155 6025 for more details.

With an extensive network and knowledge of recruiting overseas skilled workers, they can ensure that your employment and migration needs will be handled professionally.

Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without notice and is only intended to serve as a guide. For full details about the Employer-Sponsored Visa, please visit the Australian Government website or consult an Employment and Migration expert in Australia.

Similar Posts