Australia is currently desperate for thousands of overseas skilled workers to fill the open positions due to the strict border controls enforced over the past two years.
However, the labour shortage issue is not getting better any sooner, and many Australian companies are still having trouble finding qualified individuals for their companies.
As a result, some companies are finding it difficult to operate their businesses. If you’re an Australian business owner looking to hire foreign skilled workers from abroad, this is the guide for you.
To help with the current worker shortage issues and to fill critical skills needs that support Australia’s economic recovery from COVID-19, the Australian government has now opened (under regulation) for businesses to bring in overseas skilled workers they need to expand their businesses in order to cope with the present labour shortage difficulties.
In this blog post, we will walk you through how to become a qualified sponsor and hire foreign workers with specialised skills to cover job openings that can’t be filled locally.
We’ll provide information on the different visa options available, as well as tips on how to find qualified candidates. Let’s get started!
Why Should Your Business Hire Skilled Workers from Overseas?
There are many advantages to hiring skilled overseas workers. For one, they can bring fresh perspectives and skillsets to your business that you otherwise may not have access to domestically.
Additionally, overseas workers might have specialised skills or knowledge that can help to bolster your business.
However, there are a few caveats to consider before hiring overseas. It is important to consider local laws or regulations affecting your business and the workers you hire from abroad.
Furthermore, there are costs associated with bringing in foreign workers, such as visa application fees and travel expenses. Employers who fail to obey the regulation could face fines and penalties, so it’s important to ensure you meet relevant requirements.
Visa Options For Hiring Overseas Workers in Australia
When hiring overseas workers, there are a few different visa options available:
- Employer-sponsored visas – This visa lets employers sponsor foreign workers for permanent residence in Australia. The sponsoring employer must be approved by the Australian government and is responsible for providing the worker with health insurance, salary, and other benefits.
- Training visa – This visa is for foreign workers looking to gain skills and experience in Australia. It allows them to work for an Australian-based business or organisation for up to two years with at least 30 hours per week, after which they must return to their home country.
- Partner visa – This visa is for partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents. It allows them to have full-time working rights in Australia, and after two years, they may be eligible for permanent residency.
- Skilled occupation visas – Skilled occupation visas are available for foreign workers with relevant qualifications, skills, or experience to fill a ‘skilled occupation’ in Australia. The skilled occupations list is reviewed regularly and includes fields such as health professionals; engineering, construction, and IT professionals; as well as hospitality workers.
- Student visas – Student visas are available to students enrolled in an eligible course of study in Australia. Once their studies begin, they can work up to 40 hours every two weeks for up to 5 years.
- Working holiday visa – Working holiday visas are available to individuals who want to experience life in Australia while working and earning money. This holiday visa is perfect for those who want to extend their stay. With this visa, you can stay up to 6 months.
Each visa option has different requirements, so it’s a good idea to read up on the details and contact one of the Australian registered immigration agencies for professional advice.
Become A Qualified Sponsor
The first step to hiring abroad is to become a qualified sponsor before your business can hire overseas skilled workers. Any legally established and currently operating business can apply to be a sponsor. You will need to create an ImmiAccount and apply online with the necessary documentation for a suitable visa and pay the fee.
For more details about sponsoring, please visit the Australian Government website here.
Finding Qualified Candidates
Once you’ve become a qualified sponsor and are clear about which visa option is appropriate, the next step is finding qualified candidates. You can look for overseas workers through online job boards, social media networks, and other professional networks.
But the best option is to consider using a recruitment agency who is specialised in immigration and sponsoring overseas skilled workers. They may also offer other recruitment services to help narrow your search.
Many recruitment agencies in Australia specialise in global hires. These international recruitment agencies can help you identify potential and most suitable workers for you, as well as make sure the legal requirements are met. They can provide the information you need to ensure your visa application is successful.
What Does An International Recruitment Agency Do?
When searching for overseas workers, you should research the hiring process in their home country. This will help ensure that your business meets all compliance requirements and that prospective employees clearly understand what is expected of them when they work for you.
This is where international recruitment agencies come to play. An international recruitment agency works with employers and foreign workers to ensure the process of hiring overseas is as smooth as possible.
They’ll assist employers with all aspects of recruitment, such as screening potential candidates, arranging interviews, and evaluating resumes. Additionally, they may guide employers on visa applications, onboarding foreign workers, and other legal matters.
An experienced international recruitment agency can also provide helpful services or advice such as:
- Arranging interviews with candidates
- Providing information on salary expectations and other job-related matters
- Screening and verifying employees’ documents and other background checks
- Considering all relevant legal requirements
- Advice on a relocation package and travel arrangements if required
Hiring overseas staff can give employers a great opportunity to expand their business.
However, you must understand the legal implications and use the services of an experienced and reputable international recruitment agency. With the help of a professional, you will be able to hire overseas skilled workers in Australia successfully.
What Are The Advantages Of Using A Global Recruitment Agency To Hire Overseas Skilled Workers in Australia?
When an employer uses a global recruitment agency to hire skilled workers in Australia, they have several advantages. Here are some of the benefits:
- Access to a larger pool of qualified international candidates willing and able to work in Australia.
- Guidance in navigating the visa process and assistance with filling out paperwork correctly.
- Professional advice on how to interview potential workers and assess their skills.
- Access to resources and tools that can help you find the right candidate quickly.
- Provide assistance during the employment process to ensure all legal criteria are met.
With these advantages, employers can be sure that hiring overseas skilled workers in Australia will run smoothly and without any hiccups.
Hiring overseas skilled workers in Australia effectively brings fresh perspectives, skillsets, and knowledge into your business. But before hiring, it’s important to understand the different visa options available and ensure all the legal requirements are met. Using an international recruitment agency can make the process easier and more efficient so that you can find the right candidate quickly.
With the right guidance and resources, your business can successfully hire overseas skilled workers in Australia to fill the open positions.
If you’re looking for more information about sponsoring skilled workers from abroad, please contact Southern Cross Personnel today on Tel: +61 (0) 8 8155 6025 to book a consultation, our team is here to assist you. (All immigration advice is provided by our migration partner – Copson Migration – MIRA 1575606)
Please keep in mind that this information is only provided as a guide and is subject to change without notice. Visit the Australian Government website for more information about hiring overseas skilled workers.