Finding the best city to live and work in Australia can be tough. There are many factors to consider, from job opportunities to the cost of living. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the eight best cities to live and work in Australia based on various factors. Let’s get into it!
1. Adelaide: Excellent Job Opportunities, Affordable Cost Of Living
If you’re looking for a city with excellent job opportunities and an affordable cost of living, Adelaide is the place for you! It’s South Australia’s capital and the fifth-largest city in Australia.
It’s also home to several industries, including mining. The cost of living in Adelaide is relatively low compared to other Australian cities, so you’ll have plenty of money left after paying your bills!
Adelaide is also a great choice if you’re looking for an exciting city with plenty to do. The city has a lively arts and culture scene and plenty of restaurants, bars, and cafes. There are also various outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, and swimming.
Reasons To Choose Adelaide to live and work in Australia:
- Rank one of the world’s most liveable cities.
- Low cost of living in Adelaide.
- Great Job opportunities across various industries.
- The education system is world-renowned, and it ranks well above average in the international education league table.
- Best place in Australia to gain valuable post-study work experience.
- Adelaide is perfectly located in South Australia. Whether you want to have city life, suburban or country life, it has something for everyone.
- One of the best Australian cities to raise a family.
- Plenty of family-friendly activities in Adelaide.
- Very affordable housing around suburban areas.
# Click here to check out things to do and places to go in Adelaide on Google.
2. Brisbane: Perfect For Families, Great Weather
Brisbane is the place for you if you’re looking for a city perfect for families! The capital of Queensland, Brisbane, is a large city with a population of over two million people.
It’s also home to several family-friendly attractions, such as the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and the Brisbane Botanic Gardens. The city also has a great climate, with warm weather all year round!
Brisbane presents many options if you are looking for an opportunity to work in Australia. The city is home to several large businesses and industries, including finance, healthcare, and tourism.
The cost of living is also relatively low, making Brisbane the perfect city for those looking for a change!
Reasons To Choose Brisbane to live and work in Australia:
- A perfect place to settle for family life.
- Great climate all year round.
- Big city lifestyle with lots of family-friendly attractions.
- Amazing education system.
- Great job opportunities.
- The cost of living is relatively low.
- Reliable and versatile public transport system.
- Affordable housing when compared to other major cities.
- Well-known for being the home of Steve Irwin’s world-famous Australia Zoo.
# Click here to check out things to do and places to go in Brisbane on Google.
3. Canberra: Diverse Economy, Plenty Of Job Opportunities
Canberra is the place for you if you’re looking for a city with a diverse economy and plenty of job opportunities!
The city of Canberra is Australia’s capital and is home to various organisations, including government, education, health care, and tourism. With a university degree, you’ll have more chances in Canberra. In government and related fields, you’ll have lots of options.
Locals adore Canberra’s lakes, architecture, cultural programs, and café culture. The employment rate implies you will have money to travel throughout the region. So, if you’re looking for a city with abundant job opportunities, Canberra is a great choice!
Reasons To Choose Canberra to live and work in Australia:
- Offers a thriving large city lifestyle.
- Rank one of the safest cities to live in the world.
- Outstanding education system.
- Plenty of outdoor activities.
- Many natural spaces to enjoy.
- Air quality is amongst the clearest in the world.
- The high standing of living.
- Lower cost of living than other big cities in Australia.
- With about 15% higher salary rate than other cities in Australia.
- High employment rate.
- A diverse economy that offers various job opportunities.
4. Darwin: Perfect For Outdoor Enthusiasts, Unique Lifestyle
Darwin is the perfect city for outdoor enthusiasts! The capital of the Northern Territory, Darwin, is a small city with just over 130,000 people. It’s located in tropical north Australia and has many beautiful nature spots with great weather all year round!
Although the job market is not massive, there are still plenty of opportunities for those with the right skill set, such as in the health care, education, and tourism industries. However, Darwin has very high employment rates and it has become one of the best places for graduate students to find jobs in recent years.
There are plenty of things to do in Darwin, such as swimming, hiking, and biking. The city is also home to several museums and art galleries. And, with its small size, Darwin is a great choice if you’re looking for a close-knit community.
Reasons To Choose Darwin to live and work in Australia:
- Darwin delivers a warm and unique quality of life.
- Home to many multicultural community groups and services.
- Incredible education system.
- Boasts one of the highest employment rates in Australia.
- Best place for the graduates to find a job.
- Great for nature lovers.
- Surrounded by an abundance of natural wonders and adventures.
5. Hobart: The Right Choice For Foodies And Upcoming Artists
Hobart is perfect for foodies! The capital of Tasmania, Hobart, is a small city with over 200,000 people. It’s located in southern Australia with stunningly beautiful scenery and has a mild temperate oceanic climate with four distinct seasons.
The job market is small, but there are opportunities for those with the right skill set, such as in the food and beverage industry.
The Museum of Old and New Art (Mona) and its summer solstice festival are well-known attractions in Hobart. Many excellent restaurants, bars, and cafes make it a great choice to live and work in!
Reasons To Choose Hobart to live and work in Australia:
- Hobart has the most affordable housing market in Australia.
- A warm, relaxed, and laidback small city lifestyle.
- Offers breath-taking landscape and natural beauty scenery.
- Lower cost of living when compared to bigger cities like Sydney and Melbourne.
- The university in Hobart ranks in the top 2% of universities worldwide.
- Amazing vocational education offers a wide range of different qualifications.
6. Melbourne: Best Place For The Cultural Experience, Great Coffee
Melbourne is the perfect city for those looking for a cultural experience! As the capital of Victoria and famously known as the “cultural capital of Australia”, Melbourne is home to many different cultures and has a diverse population.
The job market is large, and there are plenty of opportunities for those with the right skill set, such as in the arts, culture, and food and beverage industries.
If coffee is your thing, then Melbourne is the place for you! The city has a thriving coffee culture with many excellent cafes. There are also plenty of things to do in Melbourne, such as visiting the Royal Botanic Gardens, going to the theatre, or exploring the many different neighbourhoods.
Reasons To Choose Melbourne to live and work in Australia:
- Rated as one of the world’s most liveable cities.
- Great infrastructure, education, and the healthcare system.
- Unique climate has something for everyone.
- Vibrant and sophisticated big cities lifestyle.
- Top-tier educational institutions.
- A highly diverse economy and population.
- Plenty of Job opportunities.
- Multicultural and sports-mad.
- Great place for start-ups.
- Australia’s best student city.
- Great place for family.
- A thrilling destination for kids.
7. Perth: Perfect For Those Looking For A Relaxed Lifestyle
Perth is the perfect city for those looking for a relaxed lifestyle! The capital of Western Australia, Perth, is a large city with a population of over two million people. it’s located in southwestern Australia and has beautiful weather all year round!
The job market is large, there are a variety of opportunities for those with the right skill set, such as in the mining, oil, and gas industries.
The city is home to many different beaches, such as Cottesloe Beach and Scarborough Beach. There is a lot of seaside fun for the whole family to enjoy in the summer.
There are also plenty of things to do in Perth, such as visiting Kings Park, watching an outdoor theatre performance, sitting in the park with friends and watching the sunset, going for a walk along the Swan River, and windsurfing on the sea, and many more!
Perth can offer a diverse range of activities to suit all interests.
Reasons To Choose Perth to live and work in Australia:
- Ranked as one of the top 10 most liveable cities in the world.
- Great weather all year round with stunning beaches.
- A great place to raise a family.
- Quality affordable housing.
- Offers a laid-back, safe, and suburban feel of city life.
- People in Perth are very friendly.
- Lower cost of living than other major cities in Australia, except Adelaide.
- The excellent top-ranked education system.
- Plenty of career opportunities.
- On the skilled work regional (provisional) Visa list.
- Competitive salary rates.
- Great infrastructure for the public transport system.
- A thriving hub for technology and innovation start-ups.
- Amazing multicultural cuisine experience.
- Plenty of activities for Sports fans.
# Click here to check out things to do and places to go in Perth on Google.
8. Sydney: A Great City For Those Looking For An Urban Lifestyle
Last but not least, Sydney is an amazing city for those looking for an urban lifestyle! In Sydney, Australia’s largest and oldest city, natural beauty and cultural diversity abound. It combines the frantic pace of a major global metropolis with some of the most iconic landmarks in the world.
The Harbour Bridge, Opera House, and Bondi Beach are just a few reasons why Sydney is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet.
But it’s not all about fun in the sun – there are plenty of opportunities for those with the right skill set, such as in finance, healthcare, and media.
Reasons To Choose Sydney to live and work in Australia:
- A phenomenal place to live and work.
- A city with a booming economy that offers a variety of career opportunities.
- Sunny climate with mild winters and warm summers.
- Clean environment, great schools, gorgeous beaches, and plenty of outdoor activities.
- Excellent top-ranked education system.
- One of Australia’s most popular destinations for higher education for international students.
- Higher cost of living but with higher salaries.
- Offers a great network of public transport, roadways, and walking paths.
- A thriving hub for Business investment.
# Click here to check out things to do and places to go in Sydney on Google.
So, there you have it – Australia’s eight best cities to live and work in! Whether you’re looking for an urban or relaxed lifestyle, there’s a perfect city for you. Start planning your move to Australia today!
Are You Thinking of living and working in Australia?
Australia has many opportunities for foreign skilled workers in various industry sectors.
If you’re thinking of living and working in Australia and need help with the process of employment and migration, please do not hesitate to contact us on Tel: +61 (0) 8 8155 6025 or complete the online contact form.
About Southern Cross Personnel
Southern Cross Personnel is a leading international recruitment specialist based in Adelaide, Australia. We assist Australian employers in recruiting and nominating skilled overseas workers to fill positions that cannot be filled in the local labour market.
You can also browse our latest Jobs available in Australia here.