TSS 482 Visa

Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) – A Brief Overview

This temporary visa allows an employer to sponsor a suitably skilled worker, to fill a position they cannot fill with a suitably skilled Australian. The subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa is a temporary visa requiring sponsorship by an employer in Australia. An employer can sponsor an employee for up to 2 or 4 years depending on the stream type. For full details about TSS 482 visa, please visit the Australian government website here.

Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS)

As an approved Standard Business Sponsor, the company is able to nominate a number of positions during the sponsorship period. The standard SBS is valid for up to 5 years. In order to be approved as a sponsor, the business must be able to show,

  • It is lawfully operating in Australia.
  • It has been actively operating in Australia.

In addition, there are ongoing obligations and commitments that an approved SBS is required to uphold to adhere to during the sponsorship and while 482 visa holders are employed. This includes notifying the Department of Home Affairs regarding changes and maintaining proper records. Not everyone can apply for a sponsored visa. The immigration department uses an approved list of skills. The skills on this list are regularly reviewed to ensure the skills listed are in short supply.

482 Visa Application Process

There Are Three Parts To The Application Process

1)      the employer needs to apply to become an Approved Sponsor (through a Standard Business Sponsorship or by negotiating a Labour Agreement).
2)      the employer Nominates a position.
3)      the employee applies for a Visa.

Other Information About TSS 482 Visa

Southern Cross Personnel logo

Duration of Stay

You can stay for up to 4 years.

Visa Application Fees

  • A$2690 adults
  • A$675 under 18’s

Processing Time

  • 25% of applications: 44 days
  • 50% of applications: 83 days
  • 75% of applications: 12 months
  • 90% of applications: 15 months

Permanent Residency Pathway

If an employee has been working in the same occupation, with the same employer for at least 3 years the 482 visa holder may apply under a Temporary Residence Transition stream for a permanent employer-sponsored visa.

Any questions? Get In Touch With Us!

For further information on the 482 visa, Southern Cross Personnel recommends Copson MIgration Partners, (MARN 1575606) a registered migration agent based in South Australia, tel:+61 (0) 8 8155 6062. For employment enquiry, please contact us on tel: +61 (0) 8 8155 6025, our team is here to help you. Alternatively, you can also get in touch by completing our online contact form here.

The information on this page is subject to change without notice and is only given as a guide. You should check the details for yourself.